Thursday, December 24, 2009

Live like you were dying ...?

So we've heard that song from the American Idol guy, but what does it really mean when someone says, "live like you're dying"? How come so many people say this but don't actually do it? I think to live like you're dying means to not put off until tomorrow what you could do today. To live like you're dying is to be honest, say what you mean to say when you mean to say it. Do what you mean and what you want when and how you want. To live like you're dying is to seek out happiness and success and to want these things for others as well. Last year, my aunt sent me the Optimists Creed. People make fun of this, I believe in it. I think if we live the Optimists Creed, we live like we are dying.
People really are dying, and they are starving, they are lonely, they are cold, they are tired. My family is falling apart and I've been spending this break sulking along with them. This is not okay! I could be doing so much more. If something means something to you, you need to do something about it! And, live like you're dying. If you live like you're dying, you won't have regrets. The one real regret in my life is my relationship with my father. If I were to die tomorrow, I'd be upset about what I leave behind with him. I guess this means I'm not living like I'm dying. I guess what I mean is that I'm going to start. I won't go to bed tonight until we've had a real conversation, the first time in almost 10 years. I'm going to start.
Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment